Monday, February 8, 2010

Spotlight: Habeeb Khan in Prep School Blues


For our next installment of spotlight, here's an interview with Habeeb Khan, who played Fareed in Prep School Blues!

Q: What got you into acting?
Habeeb: I think watching movies as a kid, i felt transported into a very real world through someone's motions, internal and/or external, and others' reactions to them.

Q: Who are your inspirations as an actor?
Habeeb: DeNiro in Raging Bull always makes me want to be right on my game. Same goes for Pacino in Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon.

Q: How did you get involved in the PSB project?
Habeeb: I guess you can say I was there from the beginning. Part of in the inspiration for the series comes from the high school that the director and I graduated from.


Q: Do you have any favorite/distinctive memories from working on PSB?
Habeeb: The first day of rehearsing in a hotel pool pretty much set the tone for the entire shoot.

Q: How did you connect with your PSB character? Any specific challenges?
Habeeb: I found it difficult at first to separate fact from fiction since I was so close to some of the source material. But I eventually attempted to tackle it like any fictional story and start from a blank slate.

Q: How did your character evolve and develop throughout the series? And how did you portray this evolution?
Habeeb: My character was supposed to be very timid at the beginning of the serious, a bit more uncertain, always awkward with his aggressive actions, shoulders hunched over and whatnot. Near the end of the series, he comes out a bit too secure in his insecurities, so I had the character grow out an outdated facial design along with very dated wardrobe. The character embraces the clown prince of sadness persona near the end, so I felt more free to play with my space a bit more near the end.


Q: What are you doing now? Any current projects?
Habeeb: I'm currently working on Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" at Columbia University.

Thanks so much, Habeeb! Don't forget that full episodes of the complete Prep School Blues web series are available on youtube and stay tuned for the upcoming revival of the PSB comic!

No comments:

Twitter