Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Also just as Valentine's Day draws to a close, another post to celebrate love and romance. Here's a few scenes from my performance as Bottom in William Shakespeare's immortal tale of fairies, runaway lovers and amateur actors. Although I usually stay behind the camera and the curtain, I have a great passion for theater. So hope I'm not too shabby as Bottom, the pompous actor who is transformed by fairy magic into a donkey. I've also included some scenes of Habeeb Khan from Prep School Blues as Lysander, one of the quartet of young lovers. Sorry for the video quality, it's a little hazy, but I assure you the performance is quite worth it. Not to toot my own horn, of course. You be the judge!

In this first clip, the Fairy Queen Titania quarrels with her husband King Oberon (played as a lesbian couple in this production). Meanwhile, Lysander (Habeeb Khan) tries to runaway with his beloved Hermia, under a magic spell causes him to fall for her friend Helena instead.



In this second clip, a band of amateur players rehearse a play to be performed for the Duke. I, as Bottom, try to call all the shots until the fairy Puck transforms me into a donkey and I arouse the ardor of Queen Titania.



Here, Oberon and Puck try to sort of the mess their magic has caused as the four lovers quickly descend into a fight over their complex romantic relationships.



In this final clip, the magic spell that made me a donkey is removed and we put on the play for the Duke. I love the play within a play, one of the funniest scenes ever written!



Thanks so much for watching! Quite the romantic romp for Valentine's Day, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh Chris that was so great! I miss acting with you. It's funny i never got to see this part of the play becausE I was backstage getting ready for the last scene. i hope i can come home this summer and help you out with DIVAS2.

Twitter