Thursday, March 11, 2010

Spotlight: Sara Smaltz in Prep School Blues


Up next on the spotlight feature, here's an interview with the red-headed vixen Sara Smaltz who played Gabrielle in Prep School Blues as well as some pics of Sara with co-stars Bryan Dechart and Andrew Fanelli.

Q: What's your background in the performing arts?
Sara: I was a musician since I was a child. I played guitar and flute. Then I started singing opera when I was in high school and that led to me doing a lot of musical theater. When I moved to New York to go to college, I started acting in films, mostly as a favor to friends, then after time more people started asking me to do projects.

Q: How did you get involved with this project?
Sara: Chris needed an actress for the original pilot he was shooting for his intermediate class. I played both Rachel and Gabby in the first cut of the pilot, simply because we didn't feel like looking for another actress and were watching Twin Peaks (which featured Sheryl Lee in dual roles as Maddie Ferguson and Laura Palmer) at the time. The series developed from the strengths and weaknesses of the pilot.


Q: Favorite memories?
Sara: Visiting the beautiful Joseph estate, getting to visit Governor French Academy, our terrible photo shoot at the beach when me and Andrew got sun poisoning! Learning to play soccer and of course Emmy's 21st birthday which we celebrated during the season 3 shoot at PT's World Famous Showplace.

Q: How did you connect with Gabrielle?
Sara: I connected with her sense of loneliness and isolation and the continual nature of the setbacks she suffered. I definitely understood her defensive, abrasive nature.

Q:What was your biggest challenge during this project?
My biggest challenge was playing a "bitch", someone who is as aggressively confrontational as Gabby. Also wearing a really short skirt in the cemetery scene because it was very cold that day!


Q: What are you doing these days?
Sara: I am working as an assistant in Manhattan and finishing a script for a short film I plan to shoot later in the year and a documentary.

Thanks so much Sara! Don't forget to revisit Prep School Blues at youtube.com/PrepSchoolBlues

No comments:

Twitter